Thursday, June 29, 2006

We're Alive Part 2

First off, promised pix of Milo and Grandpa. The initial examination:



Okay. I think Milo likes his Grandpa:




Now that I've gotten those in, back to our initial stay at the cottage. The cottage brings out something different in all of us. Some of us like to drink, others like to swim. Some like to exercise, and still others enjoy a bit of reading. Milo gets artistic:


Self Portrait with Cottage


Self Portrait with Tree


Self Portrait with Lake

Once we found out how much Milo enjoys photography, we started exploring his other interests. Apparently he shares his parents’ enthusiasm for rock music. We’ve found that he especially enjoys indie rock/pop. He does, however, appreciate some classic rock every now and then. Evidence? Well, when he was very upset one evening, Jill and I began serenading him with some Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody to be more specific (for fear of Shaken Baby Syndrome, we didn’t make him rock out like Wayne and Garth). Results…immediate pacification and some smiles to boot:







Of course we missed the best smiles…as if we were Big Bird and his biggest ones were Snuffleupagus, thus far, they seem to be reserved for only our viewing pleasure. As soon as the camera comes out, the smiles run with fear. I do decree: I Will Capture One Soon!

What else…oh, Jill tried to toss Milo into freezing Lake Rosseau for his first swimming lesson:



Milo, Zelda and I managed to convince Jill to wait until the water climbed above 65 degrees, though. Despite our successful intervention, Milo was so distraught that I had to comfort him by carrying him around the rest of the day and allowing him to use my pinky as a pacifier:



(No, Jill didn’t threaten to toss Milo in. I lied. Yes, I let him suck on my pinky; said pinky is still the best form of pacification we’ve run across).

Once we’d made it back to Guelph, we went to an impromptu pool party at Shannon’s. It was so impromptu, though, that I forgot the camera. So, unfortunately we don’t have a visual record of Shannon, Des, and Andrew’s first meeting with The Los.

I did, however, manage to find the camera by the time Milo received his two-month shots. Afterwards – and before he fell into a day-and-a-half coma – he was much more agreeable than I’d imagined he’d be. We’d been worrying about his reaction to the shots, but he simply hung out with us for a bit:







Well, he did become a bit contemplative:



Milo finally woke from his slumber just in time to experience his first baseball game. We were given a couple of free tickets to the Jays/Nationals game Wednesday night. We figured that if he became fussy, we could always take off. I mean, they were free tickets (row seventeen, first baseline side of home plate):









He ended up behaving quite well and we all had a great time. I mean, it wasn’t the Cubs and we weren’t at Wrigley, but I guess we can’t have everything we want. It was funny seeing how thrilled other guys, especially dads, were to see him there. They were all smiley and excited and saying things like, “First baseball game? How cool!”

So…to recap the last two long posts: Milo hoodied up, we drove north, stopped at the border for Gin and Tim’s (unfortunately we were on the American side [could that picture be any worse?], which has crappy chocolate cause the good Canadian chocolate at Tim’s comes from Cuba and the U.S. won’t drop the lame-ass embargo), crossed into Milo’s mother(’s)land, hung out with family in Guelph, ate at Webers on the way to the cottage, hung out in Muskoka, drove back to Guelph for shots/pool party/Jays game, and, uhh, I think that’s it.

We still need to see more friends, but for now, I think more time at the Cottage is called for…we leave this afternoon. Who knows when we’ll return, but I’ll post when we do. Until then, know that we’ll be drinking daiquiris down on the dock. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment